The sports community took time out to celebrate last year’s achievements at the Gloucester District Sports Committee Sports Star of the Year Awards at the Gloucester Soldiers Club on Saturday, May 13.
Around 260 people filled the auditorium for the event that highlights the success of individuals and sporting clubs across a range of categories.
Long time Master of Ceremonies (MC), 2RE radio presenter Anthony Zanos, once again took up of microphone.
Special guest, World Woodchopping Championship, David Foster treated the crowd to a highly entertaining and humorous story about his career.
Amid the clever anecdotes, he delivered an important message to the young sportspeople. He spoke about the importance of education for athletes, explaining how sport careers can be short and how it’s important to have something to fall back on.
He retold his personal journey of winning 21 world titles in a row, starting from 1979, at Sydney Royal Easter Show on one end of the a double handed saw with his father, George Foster.
“There are winners and there are loser,” he explained. “If you’re the loser, you need to shake the hand of the winner.”
“Enjoy your journey,” he told the audience. “If you enjoy what you do you’re going to be successful.”
During the evening, a mounted axe donated by Bob Tebbett and Les Stone, signed by David Foster was auction off for $3,000. It was won by Chris Maslen, with funds donated to the committee.
Awards were presented as follows:
- Over 75 Certificates – Daphne Wilson, Vera Whatmore, Terry Carson, Ken Baxter and John West
- Encouragement – Jarrod PLater
- Junior – Ethan Bird and Amy Shultz
- Match Official – Harrison Clarke
- Coach – Michael Shultz
- Club Administrator – Sally Maslen
- Event of the Year – The Gloucester Open AMT & JT
- Team – Gloucester High School Boys Squash Team
- Senior – Scott Wratten
- Veteran – Joanie Pacchiana
- Athlete with a Disability – Courtney Webeck
- Sports Star of the Year – Courtney Webeck
- Local Legends – Kelvin Gregory and Tom Donoghue
- Hall of Fame – Bruce Snape and Erik “Laurie” Grant