A beautiful sewn work of art created by a 17-year-old for her year 12 major work at St Clare’s High School is on display at Taree Craft Cottage during February.
Demi Fox from Taree created a long, cream coat which is embellished with Australian animals, birds, flowers and scenery.
The fabric used is bleached denim and the craft techniques used include fabric painting, applique, ribbon embroidery, machine embroidery, hand embroidery, wet felting, dry felting, bedazzling and fabric dyeing.
Demi was mentored by textile artist Sandy Maria Archer of Coopernook and has high praise for her mentor, who guided her throughout the project.
“It made such a difference to have Sandy’s advice whenever I needed it and it took a lot of the pressure off,” Demi said. “It would be great if more people competent in their craft were available as mentors for students – it makes such a difference to your confidence and encourages you to try a lot of new techniques”.
The coat was entered in the Manning Great Lakes High Schools Technology Display held annually at Manning Regional Art Gallery and won first place in the textiles section, Demi receiving a prize of $400.
Demi will begin a Hospitality and Tourism course at Coffs Harbour University in February, but commented that textiles will always play a part in her life.
The Australiana Coat is on display for the month of February at Taree Craft Cottage, located on the corner of High and Pulteney Streets, Taree.
Entry is free and the Centre is open from 9.30 am to 3.30 pm Monday to Friday. Enquiries to mobile 0428 255 263.
- Kimberley Eveleigh exhibition of mixed media artworks titled ‘Gallery of Meraki’ is running at Gloucester Gallery until February 25. The opening celebration is Saturday February 3 at 1pm. Gloucester Gallery is located on Denison Street and open Wednesday to Saturday 10am to 4pm and Sundays 10am to 1pm. Free entry.
- Rudi's Market, 8am to 2pm, on the corner of Bushland and Kanangra Drives, Taree.
- TOTs Tours, 11.15am to noon, Manning Regional Art Gallery, Macquarie Street, Taree. Exciting and fun art engagement for under 5s with their parents or carers. Free.
- Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay, kicking off around 4.20pm in Wallis Street at Tuncurry Beach Bowling Club. Batonbearers will work their way through Tuncurry, across the water by boat to Forster Marina, and finish up at Forster Ocean Baths around 5.40pm.
- John Holme art exhibition Inside Outside at the Hallidays Point Library, 10am to 5pm. Runs until February 22.
- I wool if you wool...Weaving Wool Bring us Together Saturday Session, 11am to 3pm at Manning Regional Art Gallery, Macquarie Street, Taree. This is a play in four acts and complementing the Art of Wool exhibition.
- John Holme art exhibition Inside Outside at the Hallidays Point Library, 10am to noon. Runs until February 22.
- Black Head Bazaar, 8am to 1pm, at Wylie Breckenridge Park, Black Head.