On November 2, 1927 it was decided Gloucester needed a business chamber. Ninety years later, it’s still going strong and will celebrate this fact at an event on May 30.
At a public meeting held in the Gloucester Shire Hall, which now houses the Gloucester District Historical Society Museum, 27 residents agreed to the formation of the Gloucester and District Chamber of Commerce.
The committee was formed to fulfill a growing need for a community body, outside of council, to attend to public matters and also work with the council for the progression of the town and district. By the end of the first year the membership had grown to 73 members, which included town businesses, farmers and graziers from around the area.
The original mantra of the chamber was for “the advancement and interests of the community as a whole".
From the beginning, members of the chamber lobbied local, State and federal government bodies in order to drive the growth of the town. Whether it be for better road access in and out of town, a town water supply, improved town lighting or improvements to mail and telephone services, the chamber took it upon itself to try to get things done in Gloucester.
During the war and great depression the chamber became inactive, from the end of 1941 until February 15, 1946, when it reformed.
In May 1998, Gloucester Chamber of Commerce and Industry was incorporated and is continuing the work set out by its founders 90 years ago.
Among its long list of achievements, the chamber has been involved things like the annual Chill Out Festival, Church Street Christmas decorations, the AGL Procurement Agreement and providing a welcome pack to new residents to the Gloucester Shire.
To celebrate this milestone the chamber is holding a dinner for past and present members or anyone interested in joining in on the festivities, on Wednesday, May 30 at the Gloucester Bowling Club at 6pm for 6.30pm and costs $30 per person. Bookings can be made at email@example.com, Gloucester Town and Country or Helloworld Travel by May 23.