Four Gloucester Hockey Club players rep Manning in under 15s State competition

Gloucester Hockey Club's Toreen Denyer, Elyssa Keen, Darcey Fry and Elise Coombes traveled to Wagga Wagga as part of the Manning under 15s team in the 2019 Field Hockey State Championships. Fronting up 11 players, just enough to make a team, the girls spent the weekend of June 21-23 fighting for the title along with nine other teams.

Their first game saw them second on the field on a very brisk Friday morning against New England. Both teams took a bit of time to warm up in the four 10 minute quarters, but Manning was the first to score. This was followed up shortly after with another goal. Good defence from the Manning side and continued possession of the ball kept New England from making their mark their on the scoreboard. Manning won 2-0.

After a bit of a rest and a chance to warm up, the girls returned to the field in the sunshine of the afternoon to take on Orange. The first goal went to Orange, who held the position into the third quarter. Manning came out fighting and leveled the score off a short corner in the last eight minutes. Unfortunately, a lose ball found its way down to the Manning goals and with a light tap, Orange once again took the lead. Despite repeated attempts to score, Manning was unable to convert, with the final result being 2-1 to Orange.

It was another early start on Saturday morning, with Manning first up on the field against Lithgow. The below zero temperatures and frost covered field made for more of ice hockey conditions, with at one point the ball splitting in two off a strong a hit, but the girls soldiered on. Playing like a well oiled machine, Manning controlled play not allowing any scores against them, finishing up 4-0.

Manning returned to the field for an evening game against Port Macquarie in a battle for first place in the pool. It was a hard fought game, with Manning's lack of subs and slippery field conditions taking a toll, and despite best efforts, Port took out the game 2-1.

Sunday saw the last game for the girls in the competition where they played against Newcastle one player short due to injury. Another hard fought match saw them end in a 3 all draw, landing Manning in fifth place in division two.