The Wyndham family is holding a reunion which also marks the 189th anniversary of the planting of the first vines at Dalwood in the Hunter Valley.
Descendants of the convicts, Indigenous people, Bounty immigrants, German vine-dressers, and anyone else who worked for George Wyndham or his son, John at Dalwood, at Branxton, are invited to join Wyndham descendants at a lunch at the Dalwood Cellars, Saturday, September 7, 2019.
The first vines were planted at Dalwood on September 1, 1830.
Dalwood is the oldest continuous commercial vineyard in Australia.
George and Margaret Wyndham arrived in New South Wales on Boxing Day 1827 and purchased a property on the banks of the Hunter River in January 1828, and renamed it Dalwood.
Wyndham subsequently acquired Mahngarinda (Merriwa), Colly Blu (Liverpool Plains), Bukkulla and Nullamanna (McIntyre River), and Keelgyrah (Richmond River).
Wyndham employed a mix of convict, Indigenous and free men, women and boys to help develop each of these properties. Any descendants are welcome to attend.
The names of about 180 convicts have been identified so far, with more yet to be confirmed.
Another 200 people have been identified as working for George Wyndham.
Wyndham also established the first Hereford cattle herd in NSW, built the first Greek style building in Australia (Dalwood House) with the help of his convicts, and had one of the largest and most successful horse studs in the colony.
In recognition of the contribution that the convicts assigned to Wyndham made, details of their lives are being collected to ensure that they are given the recognition they deserve.
Anyone interested in attending the lunch, providing details about a convict or other ancestor associated with a Wyndham property, or interested in the restoration of Dalwood House, is asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org