NSW SES Wingham Unit volunteers were recognised for their services to the community at an awards ceremony held at the Wingham Memorial Services Club on Saturday, February 20, 2021.
Five members of the Wingham unit were presented with the National Medal while 10 members were recognised with a Long Service Award.
The National Medal recognises long and diligent service in organisations that protect life and property at some risk to their members. The Medal is awarded to persons for long service in an eligible organisation who fulfil the primary function and meet other criteria.
Fifteen years eligible service is necessary to qualify for the Medal. Clasps are available for each additional 10-year period.
After being approved by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the National Medal was instituted by the Australian Government on 14 February 1975.
The National Medal is struck at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra and is made of bronze. The crown appears on the medal as a symbol of the Queen of Australia. The medal also displays the Australian Coat of Arms, the wattle (being Australia's national flower) and the words "The National Medal for Service".
The medal is suspended by a ribbon of 15 alternating narrow vertical blue and gold stripes; each stripe represents one year of service. The blue and gold colours featured on the ribbon are the Australian heraldic colours and not the National colours, which are, of course, green and gold.
The NSW SES Long Service Awards are awarded to members of the NSW SES who have achieved a period of diligent service of five years, and then every five years of service anniversary thereafter.
Recipients of awards and medals at the presentation were:
- Allan Weller (deceased) and Lucy Weller - 50 years SES Long Service Award and Clasp
- Gary Greene - 35 years SES Long Service Award
- Colin Holmes - 30 years SES Long Service Award and Clasp
- Derek Boughton - 30 years SES Long Service Award and Clasp
- George Sheldon - 20 years SES Long Service Award and Clasp
- Lyn Adams - 15 years National Medal
- Helen Hansen - 15 years SES Long Service Award and 15 years National Medal
- Mathew Ruff - 15 years SES Long Service Award and 15 years National Medal
- Terry Spinks - 15 years SES Long Service Award and 15 years National Medal
- Phillippe Faugeraus - 15 years SES Long Service Award and 15 years National Medal
- David Edmund - 5 years SES Long Service